Reichstein (1897-1996) was born right into a household of Polish Jews in Włocławek, Russian Empire. His mother and father have been Gastau (Brockmann) and Isidor Reichstein
He spent his early childhood in Kiev, the place his father was an engineer. He began his schooling at a boarding faculty in Jena, Germany and got here to Basel, Switzerland, on the age of eight.
He studied chemistry on the College of Zurich. He later moved to Basel, the place he was a professor at his alma mater.
He made work on the glycosides that exert a pharmacological impact on the center and managed to hold out the artificial synthesis of ascorbic acid or vitamin C.
He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medication in 1950, which he shared with Edward Calvin Kendall, and Philip Showalter Hench, for his research of the adrenal glands and the invention of cortisone.
In later years, Reichstein turned serious about phytochemistry and fern cytology, publishing no fewer than 80 papers on these subjects within the final three many years of his life. He had a specific curiosity in utilizing the quantity and conduct of chromosomes to interpret the dates of hybridization and polyploidy, however he additionally carried on his earlier curiosity within the chemical elements of vegetation.
He died in 1996, simply days after his ninety-ninth birthday.
Works authored by him
- A powerful crystalline substance of the adrenal cortex, corticosterone. Amsterdam 1936
- Chemistry of adrenal hormonesNobel Lecture delivered on the Carolinian Hospital, Stockholm, December 11, 1950, Nordstedt 1951
- With Oswald Rinkonen and Ottmar Schindler: Sinogenin structure: glycosides and aglycones. Zagreb 1957
- thePolysaccharides from cardiac glycosides. In: Fourth Worldwide Biochemistry Convention, I: Carbohydrate Chemistry of Biologically Attention-grabbing Substances. London 1958, p. 124-139.
- With Bernard Lang and Maturova: Isolation materials from «Gloriosa superba Levin». Stuttgart 1959
- Traits of cardiac glycosides. Weinheim 1962
- With Adolf Portman as Editor: Hormones – the substances that management life. Basel 1967
“Social media evangelist. Scholar. Reader. Troublemaker. Typical introvert.”